Re: Boot problems

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 02:44:54PM -0700, HARDIN,PAUL D (HP-Corvallis,ex1) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get the SARGE release loaded on a machine with a new, wiped
> disk and having problems.
>
> The SARGE implementation is the ISO image set of 9 cds. With no DOS
> directory or OS loaded I am using the text based installer.
>
> Machine is an old Dell Optiplex GXa Pentium2 266 and has a disk running RH
> 8.0 that I have to pull out to try and load Debian. (Only one drive slot.)
>

> Failure:
> 	1. Standard US entries for Language and Keyboard.
> 	2. Load installer modules
> 	3. 3 partitions on the disk: /boot (from 1 to ~100 MB of type
> Linux), swap (from ~100 - ~1.5GB of type Linux Swap), and / (rest of disk of
> type Linux)
> 	4. I added file systems to the /boot and / partitions of type ext2.
> 	5. I as for an install of basic system and get the following
> message:
>
> P:0 100 Downloading Release file
> I: Retrieving file:///cdrom/dists/Sarge/Release
> Segmentation Fault
> Base installer's postinst exited with status 35584
> Installer[48]: Lowering debconfpriority limit
>

> Can you help me with this?

The sarge installer is approaching beta. I think maybe this bug has
been fixed, but you would need to download a recent daily build.

http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/d-i/images/daily/

That's if you're interested in continuing to help us find bugs.
Otherwise, install woody and then upgrade to sarge.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People