2003-06-17 installation failure report
Machine: powerpc (PowerBook G4)
- mac-fdisk (no udeb see #188420)
- partitioner (script for powerpc, see #194590)
- udpkg (wrong output of --print-architecture, see #194933)
Problems (not already reported):
1. if you do not partition your hard drive (because it is
already partitioned) "Partition your hard drive" is
sometimes the default menu item when it should not be.
(eg. after base-installer). Partitioning should be
non-default after file system setup.
2. yaboot installer does not work. It tries to call /usr/sbin/yabootconfig
which is not there. It should either call /target/usr/sbin/yabootconfig
or we have to copy yabootconfig into the installer root or depend on
3. yaboot installer does not depend on kernel-installer. Don't we need a
kernel for booting? ;-)
4. after base-installer /target/etc/fstab was not set up
(only # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM)
5. There was no menu item for kernel-chooser. Kernel-installer faild
because there was no "default kernel".
6. debootstrap segfaults.
works with dash-udeb, still prints "retrying faild download 3x times"
for each package
Problems already reported (pro memoria):
7. mkfs.ext2 and mkfs.ext3 are files of size 0 instead of links
to mke2fs. Deleting these files and creating links made partconf
work -> busybox tar bug? Is there a bug-report about this?
8. partconf does not call swapoff nor unmount partitions when called
again. So if your configuration partially faild and you have to
reinvoke partconf, you have to do this manually first.