Re: Suggestions needed for gtk frontend for cdebconf

* Sebastian Ley <sebastian.ley@mmweg.rwth-aachen.de> [030611 00:19]:
> Starting an all new process should not be that
> difficult. Frontend.init would start this process which is then
> responsible for all gtk actions, such as drawing widgets and running
> gtkmain. This process must then be told via an appropriate IPC method
> which widgets to draw and pass back the answers when they are ready.

Can't this be somehow integrated with the way debconf is dealing with
it. After all this already has a nice IPC way (namely file descriptor 3
for communicating).
Not looked into cdebconf and the current implementation of
debian-installer my first though would be a process controling the
screen and everything else running as childs to this thing with fd 0,1,2
beeing a virtual terminal to be shown in a terminal widget and another
filedescriptor for command transfer.
This might not fit perfectly to the cdebcof way, as this will most
likely (have not looked into it. Whenever I had time in the last year
to look in debian-installer I lost my test-hardware before I got deeper
in it) wants to exactly use fd 3 for debconf-protocoll without changing
other things and the frontend not beeing in enough control to change the
rest.

Argl, I wished I had more time currently. I'm really getting keen on
looking deeper in this...

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will he ever receive either. (Benjamin Franklin)