Re: boot-floppies with aic79xx support

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:15:40AM -0400, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> I sent this message to debian-user and didn't get a response, so I'm
> trying here now.  I apologize if this list isn't intended as a support
> list -- I'm not 100% clear from the traffic.
>
> > I need to do an install on an athlon system with an adaptec 7902
> > SCSI card.  I (perhaps foolishly) thought it would be a relatively
> > simple matter to build a kernel patched to support that card, and
> > use it to install debian.  But I'm running into more problems than I
> > expected.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?  I have the kernel
> > compiled, and it boots the system fine (recognizes the HD, network,
> > etc).  But how do I get the install (floppy, network, cdrom,
> > whatever, I don't care) to run using this kernel?
> >
> > Originally I tried compiling it as a module for 2.4.18 (to work with
> > the bf-2.4 boot floppies), but I had trouble getting the source off
> > the adaptec site to work, and the more recent driver doesn't seem to
> > work at all with 2.4.18.
> >
> > Any advice, pointers to docs, or whatever, are much appreciated.

There is a chapter in the Installation Manual's Technical Info chapter
on replacing the kernel on the rescue floppy. But if you already have
it booting, all you need to do is boot the install system.
Use the installer's boot arguments (root=/dev/ram, etc) and the
installer's root.bin RAM filesystem, whether from floppy or CD.

The only other thing you need is a folder somewhere on a disk, NFS, or
floppy that has the folder structure of the ftp archive for your
architecture and flavor, and substitute your kernel as both linux.bin
and rescue.bin within that structure. When you are ready to install
the kernel and modules, point it to that location instead of the CDROM
or network. The installer will need to find the rescue.bin and drivers.tgz
files in the expected folder structure.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People