Re: Please make discover2 udebs available for testing

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:42, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The extra libraries (crypto, curl, ssl, z) contributes to 1.3 MiB
> uncompressed.  That is quite a lot.  I would rather use that space for
> kernel modules.

OK.  Let me see what I can figure out.  Glenn's idea is good, and I have
some other ideas for solving the problem as well.

> > How strange.  For the most part, I just copied the udeb rules from
> > discover 1.5-1.4.  Did you have these problems with the old discover
> > udebs?
>
> No.  And the solution is to install the libdiscover2 packages, instead
> of copying the file from the udeb.  The problem was just because
> stupid me tried to do a quick fix.

Great.

> > Please let me know if Branden's discover.conf fixes that problem.
>
> Using the discover.conf installed by libdiscover2 solved the segfault
> and XML parsing problem.
>
> When I now run discover, it outputs nothing at all.  I guess this is
> because of the missing discover-data files.
>
> > It sounds to me like we have two immediate changes to make:
> >
> >  - Install discover.conf into discover-udeb.
> >
> >  - Create a discover-data udeb.
> >
> > Besides the curl dep, is there anything else?
>
> Fixing the code to not crash, but give a sensible error message when
> discover.conf is missing?

Well, yes, that would be a good idea, too. :-)

I'll see about rolling a new set of packages with these fixes, and I'll
also look into how much work it would be to make curl optional.