Re: Please make discover2 udebs available for testing

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 02:35, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
> > The package depend on libcurl2.  I will have to test it the build is
> > able to drag in the library, and if this library is very big.
> > Besides that, the udeb look fine on first check.
>
> I needed to install both libcurl2 and libexpat1.  These are new
> dependencies for d-i.

Since discover 2 is XML-based, libexpat1 is likely to be a hard
dependency.

The libcurl dep (and libssl and zlib, which seem to be pulled in by
curl) might be something that can be removed.  Basically, access to
configuration and hardware data is all done through libcurl.  We could
add some code that would skip curl for local file access (file: URIs),
and make network support optional.

The obvious problem here is that this would take some work to do, and
we're all a little tight on resources.  It would be good to know how the
d-i team feels about the curl/ssl/zlib deps.

> At this time, mklibs no longer exit
> with an error message, but instead look forever looking for the
> following 18 symbols:
>
>   discover_error_new
>   discover_xml_get_devices
>   discover_device_free
>   discover_device_get_model_id
>   discover_device_find
>   discover_device_get_next
>   discover_device_get_vendor_name
>   discover_strerror
>   discover_device_get_model_name
>   discover_conf_get_full_bus_map
>   discover_get_devices
>   discover_conf_append_url
>   discover_conf_insert_url
>   discover_conf_name_to_bus
>   discover_error_free
>   discover_device_get_vendor_id
>   discover_conf_get_bus_map_by_name
>   discover_device_get_data
>
> The reason seem to be that I copied libdiscover.so.2 from the udeb
> package.  It got no symbols.

How strange.  For the most part, I just copied the udeb rules from
discover 1.5-1.4.  Did you have these problems with the old discover
udebs?

> Running it in this d-i chroot without /etc/discover.conf still make it
> segfault, and touching the conf file make it give the same error
> message as before.

Please let me know if Branden's discover.conf fixes that problem.

It sounds to me like we have two immediate changes to make:

 - Install discover.conf into discover-udeb.

 - Create a discover-data udeb.

Besides the curl dep, is there anything else?