Re: sid 12 Avril 2003 CD 1 iso is broken

--- Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr> wrote:

> I've been testing sid myself on my desktop for 4 months and
> I'm pretty
> satisfied so far... And it enables to use 2.5.x kernel without
> too much
> trouble...

That's cool... to each his own, I guess... I'm running a home
server on testing/sarge, and it works for me...

> > Seriously, IMHO I wouldn't use it. Get a hold of the latest
> > stable (I think it's still 3.0r1) and once installed, point
> > testing and install from there.
>
> If you do that on a 2Ghz P4 without ACPI, DRI/ATI non free
> drivers, NTFS
> and other ATI video drivers stuffs you will
> 	1) Probably damage your laptop due to excessive heat,
> 	2) Get nothing from you video card for TV and video
> projectors (BTW
> Xfree 3.X would help with ATI)
> 	3) Cannot accees your NT files and I'm not prepared to switch
>  away
> from XP for all the reasosn mentionned above. I seldom use XP
> and my
> desktop,
>
> So, like it or not, to run linux on a laptop today, you need
> to be on
> the bleeding edge...

Okay... I see where you're coming from. I've got an older
laptop... testing works there fine.

> I understand sid is the right place for testing the new
> installer but
> putting a *totally* non working one in the ISO image instead
> of the good
> old stable/testing one + the sid packages makes no sense to
> me. I use
> the CD to avoid downloading 2.5 GB of files...
>
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3
>                         2811559   2446653    277674  90% /usr

Dunno what to tell ya... until it stabilized last year, Woody's
installer was somewhat flaky too... I ended up using Potato to
install a minimal base and dist-upgrade'ed to Woody from there -
that's why I suggested that option, you'll only be at the lower
version until you get to sid.

Hope this helps... good luck!

=====
Tony.