RE: how to install debian....

Thanks Emile. But I dont get it..
1) How do I know if the machine has BIOS or not?
2) Where do I get floppy or cd to boot from? Is that
the Debian distribution CD you are talking about?
3) Even if I have the CD, how is machine going to know
about the CD or floppy? Is that something the BIOS can
handle?
4) Same question as Q3 above , about other peripherals
or cards etc..
5) If I boot from debian CD or floppy, when am I
supposed to make partitions etc? Cant do it using some
debian package after I have installed because it'll
erase/damage installation, and cant do it beforehand
because there's no OS to do that yet.

6) This is IMPORTANT and I've been losing sleep over
this... I intend to use a LARGE hard disk. The
partitioning guidelines in installation doc say that
If over 6GB, it'll give problems. What shall I do? I
want to make this a big machine, and I want to get a
BIG HDdrive, because they come cheaper (in cost-per-GB
terms) if I buy bigger sizes. e.g. if 20GB costs me
100 Units, 40GB is 165 Units and 80GB is just 270
Units.

7) What will happen to the disk space that I dont
partition/mount etc.. e.g. if I partition 20GB in 4
pieces of 5GB each and name them L M N (no name for
4th) and mount them as /lll, /mmm, /nnn (4th not
mounted) then what? did I just threw my money in
water? What exactly should I do in order to use the
extra surplus space?

8) In Windows, it's easy to see and understand the
partitions as they come to be represented as separate
drives (c: and d: for example) but what happens in
debian? Do I get two roots (/ directories) or what?
How exactly does it work? How to differenciate between
a simple directory and a directory that is actually a
separate partition/drive.

9) How to add another Hard Disk a)for a day or two
b)permanently and b.1)without partitioning or b.2)want
to partition it before/during adding.

9.1) How many hard disks can I have at most?

svk