Re: Chaos and Damnation!

lör 2003-04-05 klockan 07.15 skrev Anthony Towns:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 07:24:53PM +0200, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> > Well, the netinst _CDs_ don't use the net floppy image,
>
> Don't the netinst CDs just use the CD images? As far as d-i's concerned,
> they're as good as the full regular sized CD set, no?

Exactly, but they need some extra mechanisms to be user-friendly. For
example, on a netinst CD anna should definitely install netcfg,
ethdetect, net-retriever and choose-mirror automatically. That should
not happen on a regular CD (should still be possible to install them of
course, but not happening automatically)

> > but a lot of our testers do use the floppy.
>
> Sure. Again there seem to be three ways of doing things:
>
> 	* Boot and install from a CD, or other large media
> 	* Boot via PXElinux (ie, netboot), and install via http/NFS/etc
> 	* Boot from floppies, then use CD/net/whatever
>
> The first two can have >1.44MB images, if necessary, the latter's likely
> to be fairly unusual, so doesn't have to be completely internationalised
> if necessary.

Indeed. Removing the utf-8 locale from the net 1.44 floppy image will
put it below the limit again. However, that means splitting the net
image into something that's a floppy image and something that will just
produce an initrd for purpose of pxelinux. We'll have to refine our
build process a bit, but it should be doable.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren
  sjogren@debian.org -- marvin@dum.chalmers.se