Re: Making d-i Not Suck

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 12:52, Geert Stappers wrote:

> > Similarly a possible terminfo-udeb, for remote installs; we currently
> > build a subset (ansi,vt100, ..) of terminfo data on the rootskel;
> > suboptimal if you are remote-installing on a different terminal. Imagine
> > a terminfo-udeb; if [something] spots TERM that is not supported, it
> > should request a terminfo-udeb, and automatically fix it.
> >

> Supporting other "terminals"  then ansi and vt100 can indeed be done in d-i.
> However IMHO it doesn't make sense.
> Most terminalprogramms can easy be configured to emulate an other terminal.
> Or when not, then take another terminal programm at the non d-i side.

Yes, it can, but I gave it as an example; its cosmetic. (A better
example of a real use was given, pulling in the right console fonts).

If someone is installing debian remotely from an eg DECterm, they
shouldnt have to change TERM=vt100, or whatever.  For the most part, how
it would work, would be eg in the S390 case (*) (see other thread; on
S390 there is no local console; you boot and then login via telnet).
The user logs in via telnet, which passes the TERM value.
if the TERM!={ansi,vt100,linux}, then terminfo-udeb is loaded, and the
terminfo data installed, and installation continues more beautifully.

> Formatting screen output with terminfo data
> is an other kind of problem then a floppy disk image that has to provide
> an driver for the next driver such as harddisk driver or NIC driver.

I can't parse this; do you mean its different than the driver loading
problems; if so, yes, I agree; they are critical, this is cosmetic.

> So take a different approach to handle it.

(*) Actually, it may be useful in other cases too. See the netconsole
project, that aims to provide an ethernet console (simple TCP/IP stack &
telnet login) or, I believe the Axis Communications Linux SoCs, which
provide an ethernet (telnet) login. In these cases, the telnet protocol
would be used for remote installation, rather than a serial console; and
so telnetd would be useful, and the terminfo issue would occur.

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine