Re: Making netinst CDs Not Suck

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:05, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> There are several issues that make the netinst CDs suck (and I don't
> mean the text frontend). Two that I'm interested in are
>
> 1. Pulling in ethdetect, netcfg and net-retriever automatically in anna
> (whether this should be done automatically in all cases is up for
> debate... Maybe it's a good idea to configure the network as soon as
> possible and don't leave that to base-config?)
>
> 2. Menu item ordering. In my opinion, everything that's installed by
> anna should damn well end up below anna in the menu, or things will be
> too confusing.

Agreed.

> I don't know how to fix 2, but one idea I had for fixing 1 was to have
> overrides in the netinst CD building, so ethdetect and friends would be
> normally optional, but when put on a netinst CD, they'd be overridden to
> standard. buxy, however, didn't really like this and suggested a file on
> the CD-ROM with a list of packages to be installed automatically.

Why didn't buxy like it?

I have a similar issue with kbd-chooser and the console-keymap-* files.
At the moment, they are of "standard" priority, so anna pulls them _all_
in (theyre arch-independent). Not optimal, as you rarely need, eg.
console-keymap-sparc on a PC. I'd _like_ them to be pulled in either by
a pkg on the net CD, some form of overrides, so eg console-keymaps-ps2
is standard on i386 CDs, the others optional, etc.
(preferably this is a runtime thing; eg Detect no USB hardware --> don't
pull in console-keymaps-usb).

Similarly a possible terminfo-udeb, for remote installs; we currently
build a subset (ansi,vt100, ..) of terminfo data on the rootskel;
suboptimal if you are remote-installing on a different terminal. Imagine
a terminfo-udeb; if [something] spots TERM that is not supported, it
should request a terminfo-udeb, and automatically fix it.

How should this work? Hack anna? is there a method already in place?

> I've been toying with that idea too, I just wonder what package would be
> responsible for finding the file under /cdrom/... and let anna know
> about it.
>
> Comments?
>

> /Martin

- Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine