Re: Install bugs with Sarge netinst dated 2/26/02.

tis 2003-03-11 klockan 04.18 skrev Brian Dockter:
> I recently installed installed Sarge using the 2/26/03 version of the
> netinst CD. Unfortunately, I had some difficulties with the install. I'm
> posting this message here in hopes that someone who cares will see these
> problems and attempt to correct them in a future version of the installer.

Note that there isn't actually a released version of the new installer,
we're still in alpha. :)

> The first major problem I ran into (other than realizing that the only
> install option that the netinst CD really supported was not configured as
> the default) was with the long lists. Several times I was presented with
> lists of items to choose from that ran off the top of my screen. I saw no
> way of scrolling back to see the entire list. Several times, the option I
> needed was not on the screen and I had to hope that it was the default or
> assume it was not needed.

This is actually "fixed" in two ways.
1. There will be other, more sophisticated, frontends available, that
have scrollbars and stuff (right now they are not used, since it's
easier to spot errors when using the text frontend).
2. The text frontend in CVS has some basic paging support.

[...]

> Since I installed this system from behind a firewall, so I had to go
> through a proxy. The installer had already successfully gone through the
> proxy at least twice (to load the installer modules and to install the
> base system) and asked me at least twice for the name of the proxy to use.
> When I saw that last error, I assumed it was a problem with the proxy not
> being configured (I had a similar problem with a Potato install I did a
> year or two ago), so I put a wrapper around apt-install to set the
> http_proxy environment variable and solved my problem.

Oh, apt-install is not proxy-aware? This is a bug, please report it on
the 'rootskel' package.

> The third problem I had was with installing Grub. Once Grub was installed,
> I was asked to remove any CDs or floppies and reboot in order to finish
> the installation. When the system tried to reboot, Grub was unable to load
> anything. After booting with the recovery disk, I discovered that Grub had
> been installed to boot off of the wrong partition. Grub was installed to
> boot off of (hd0,0), but I had installed Sarge onto (hd0,1). Once I had
> corrected the problem with sed (nano wouldn't load because it couldn't
> find libslang.so.1-UTF8), I was able to successfully reboot and complete
> the installation.

The nano/slang problem is a known bug. But I'm not sure that the grub
problem is a bug, you probably answered the wrong thing on the question?

> The good news is that I was finally able (with much effort) to overcome
> all these problems and now have converted yet another PC to use Debian.

Note that as I said, we're in alpha, so you could've just used the woody
CDs and then dist-upgrade to sarge ;)

> I hope this information will be of some use to someone. If you have any
> further questions about my difficulties, please let me know.

Thank you!

/M
--
Martin Sjögren