Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

Is anybody actually advocating removing _user_visible_ devfs
functionality? my understanding of the argument over on lkml was that
people were advocating
(1) leaving it in for 2.6 / including a smaller devfs implementation
(2) Developing a user-space solution for 2.7

in which case, we would still use devfs names and autodetection, which
are what packages/apps care about, and whatever the userspace tool to
set up names would be included in the d-i.

My experience in adding devfs to to apps is that, if we could rely on
devfs always present, it drops the size of apps (as it simplifies
hardware detection). Unfortunately, we can't depend on devfs, and so we
have to include code to handle _both_ namespaces, which bloats rather
than shrinks code ..

In the limited case of d-i, we probably _could_ rely on devfs-only being
present: (or "pseudo-devfs": something that sets up devices with the
same names, only including /dev entries for hardware present); I'm not
sure how this affects code size, as devfs is not small, (but a
replacement talked on lkml is smaller, but 2.6 only if it happens)

Regards,
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine