Re: Problem with installing the base system

> > I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on my system but I cannot install the base
> > system.
[...]
> If your machine has a network connection, you might have better luck with
> a network install.

Agreed.  If possible to do so then I highly recommend the network
install.

  http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I have been using the "LordSutch.com ISOLINUX mini-ISO image" link
which currently will take you here.

  http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/

I have had good luck with the woody-i386-1.iso image.  It is 185MB and
is self contained to install a small working system with only the
minimum of required packages installed.  That minimum system is then
used to do a network installation from the woody mirrors.  You can
change the sources.list file to select "unstable" / "sid" if desired.

The installation process will allow you to use either or both or none
of "tasksel" and "dselect".  For new users I suggest using "tasksel"
which will get you going with a minimum of trouble and will install a
large selection of stuff for you.  I recommend avoiding "dselect".  My
preference is neither and I manually install my own list of packages
after the system is up.  I log in as root and run apt-get install on
my package list.

These are my personal recommendations and I am sure other people with
have different ones.

Bob