Problem with installing the base system

I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on my system but I cannot install the base
system.

The installation procedure stops with an error: "failure while configuring
base packages".
This error is repeated 5 times. After that I get another error: "debootstrap
has exited with an error (return value 1)"

After this error let the system write a report file to my disk. The
following line failed:
"/usr/sbin/debootstrap --boot-floppies --arch i386 sid /target
file:/instmnt"

Then I removed the file awk and I tried to run this line manually.
Everything is going fine until the system tries to install the following
packages:

"aptitude" and "lilo"

I've had some problems with my MBR a few times before, so I write my hard
disk empty with Zeros (with the dos-app Wipe from IBM). After that I still
have the same problem, I cannot configure the Base System.

I've already tried to use another kernel, like 2.2.10 and 2.4, and I
disabled some options in my bios (Like anti-vir and shadowing) that can
cause problems, but nothing helps.

I've installed an old version (7.1) of the slackware release on my system
and that just work fine, but I want to run Debian.

Here is some detailed information about my system:

-----
CPU: Intel Pentium III EB 600 @ 630, 140 Mhz FSB (I've already tried to
install at 600 MHz)
Mem: 512 MB SDRAM 133 MHz
Video: ATI Radeon 32 MB DDR 166 @ 183 MHz. AGP 4x
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live! 1024
Input: ps/2 keyboard and mouse
Mainboard: Chaintec 6ATA4, Via 649x northbridge, 686A soutbridge, Bios:
14/05/2001
Harddisks and IDE devices:
 hda: Seagate ST313021A 3.03 13 GB (this is the one where I want to install
Linux)
 hdb: Seagate ST330630A 3.21 30 GB (some Windows FAT32 LBA partitions)

hda partition table:
  hda1:  10 GB Linux Ext2 or Ext3, primary (I already tried to make this
partition < 8GB)
  hda2:  2,5 GB Linux Ext2 or Ext3, primary
  hda3:  400 MB Linux Swap, primary
----

I really hope somebody can help me with this problem...

Stephan

Mail: svdhaar@gmx.net