Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:07:38AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Jim Westveer wrote on Thu Apr 04, 2002 um 05:24:24PM:
> > > And last, woody ought to be 2.2 based and not 2.4 based ... but since I
> > > also find it lame to use 2.2.x by default nowadays ...
> > I disagree,  2.4.x kernels have been out for over 2 years.....we should
> > not release a "new" version of Debian with such an outdated kernel !
> > [appologies in advance to the boot-floppy group for all their hard work]
> Agreed. The decission, which flavor has to be on the first CD, is done
> by debian-cd's scripts, see
> /usr/share/debian-cd/tools/boot/woody/boot-i386. CD distributors can
> change it if they like.

GUYS, _STOP IT_.

NOW IS _NOT_ THE TIME TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE WAY THE INSTALL WORKS.

2.4 is not the default kernel for woody installs, 2.2 is. Yes, it sucks,
and I don't care. If anyone asks why, blame me. DO NOT MAKE FURTHER
CHANGES TO THE WAY DEFAULT INSTALLS WORK. Not if it makes a billion more
people able to use Debian. Not if it's so fundamentally offensive that
it makes you want to disembowel yourself with a screwdriver.

The default kernel for woody is 2.2. The way languages work is the way
it's worked for the past twelve months. If you want to change stuff,
the time was over six months ago, and it'll be that time again in a
month or two. IT IS _NOT_ NOW.

boot-floppies has exactly two goals right now: make sparc and alpha
boot-floppies work, and make sure that all the successful installs we've
seen so far weren't a collective fantasy.

debian-cd has exactly one goal right now: make sure we're ready to produce
official CDs that include the entire archive and let you get started on
an install.

Cheers,
aj (woody release manager)

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''