Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Friday 05 April 2002 01:00, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:07:38AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > #include <hallo.h>

<snip, snip>

> GUYS, _STOP IT_.
>
> NOW IS _NOT_ THE TIME TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE WAY THE INSTALL WORKS.

<snip, snip>

aj,

I do not want to raise the voice of the woody release manager,
but, please just hear me out for a moment.

I am not suggesting changing anything in how the install
works, or anything to do with the boot floppys packages.

Currently, debian-cd creates ISO images that are spread
accross several volumes.  A while back we decided to put
different flavors of the i386 boot-floppy kernels on each of the
CD's, to make it easier for someone to use those flavors.

I setup the script to put one flavor on the first disk, another
on the second, and so on and so on.  Currently the debian-cd
scripts are setup to put the boot-floppys "default" kernel on the
first cd,  the "compact" flavor on the second CD, the bf24 flavor
on the third CD, the "idepci" flavor on the fourth CD, and all
subsiquent CD's have the "default" flavor.

What I have suggested is simply swaping positions of the
kernel images of the first and third CD.  I am not suggesting
the change of any other software, or in any way the mannor
in which the disks are created.

Before you lam-bast me with a nastygram, please grab
or create a copy of the woody CD's, and try an installation with
CD#1 as the disk you innitially boot from,  then try the
CD#3 with the bf24 kernel.   The first thing you will notice
is that the bf24 flavor first asks you for your language, where
the "default" does not.  Additionally I beleive you will
find that the bf24 actually works better on newer hardware.

Thanks for your consideration.

- --

- --
Jim Westveer
I like the word pedantic.
But I like the word revolutionary better.
E-Mail: jwest@lcs.issaquah.wa.us      jwest@debian.org
work :  425-591-3002                  KC7JYJ
pgp-key 0x36129171                    gpg-key 0x9823336C