Re: loading the initrd

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:14:03PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> This is something of a shot in the dark, but try using a filesystem that
> is not cramfs. I vaguely remember some problems along these lines being
> due to cramfs, maybe its use is not supported on a second floppy.

<sigh>  Luser error.  I was using the generic kernel-image package,
which compiles floppy support as a module.  That has been corrected.

At this point, the installer system will boot and run on my AlphaServer
4100.  I still have to manually load the modules for my NIC, and need to
include the SCSI modules in the initrd.

One problem I've noticed that may be a bug is that when I tell the
installer to "Detect hard drives and load modules for them", it only
detects the NCR SCSI controller, which only controls my CD-ROM drive.  I
have to manually load the qlogicisp module to be able to access my hard
drives.

Also, when trying to partition the hard disks, I get:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/di-utils-partitioner.postinst 51: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target4/lun0/disc: Permission denied

This just happened, so I haven't had time to investigate it.  I'm going
to do that now, but if this is a known issue I'd be happy to hear about
it.

noah