got vmlinuz and net-initrd.gz at around 23:00, Dec 7
uname -a: sorry, didn't care
Date: approx. Dec 7, 23:00-3:00
I tried to install sid, then sarge from http://mir2.ovh.net/debian
I downloaded vmlinuz and net-initrd.gz into my boot partition
(which didn't move), and booted them with an already-installed grub.
Machine: standard i386 pc
Processor: /proc/cpuinfo says "Pentium II (Deschutes)"
Root Device: /dev/hda7
Root Size/partition table:
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 * 1 7 56196 83 Linux
/dev/discs/disc0/part2 8 40 265072+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/discs/disc0/part4 41 1232 9574740 5 Extended
/dev/discs/disc0/part5 41 232 1542208+ 83 Linux
/dev/discs/disc0/part6 233 360 1028128+ 83 Linux
/dev/discs/disc0/part7 361 488 1028128+ 83 Linux
/dev/discs/disc0/part8 514 1232 5775336 83 Linux
part1 is /boot
part5 is /home
part6 is /var/cache/apt
part7 is /
part8 is an old thing with old things that needed to be kept...
Output of lspci:
(if you really care...)
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [Riva TnT2] (rev
Base System Installation Checklist:
Initial boot worked: [O]
Configure network HW: [O] (but no detection, ne 2000 isa non-pnp)
Config network: [O] (the static method)
Detect CD: [ ]
Load installer modules: [E]
Detect hard drives: [O]
Partition hard drives: [O]
Create file systems: [O]
Mount partitions: [x] well, under torture it failed... :)
Install base system: [E]
Install boot loader: [ ]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
Comments/Problems: many ;)
After running the installation stuff a dozen times, i finally succeded in
installing a sarge. I had many many problems...
* Notes before starting
I already had a sid installed. I saved my apt cache packages and /home in
/dev/hda8, and started installation using grub and files in my /boot
* The generic ones :
- At the retreiver selection step, something needed libdebconf.so.0.3, while
the initrd contained only 1.0. I needed to symlink it to the wanted file
to get things work. Maybe some other problems i had are related. I've just
seen in some list that someone else reported this.
- I tried ftp one time. The installtion tried to fetch from http:///debian,
which didn't work ;)
- The first time, I have been quite sadic with d-i when it asked me to mount
paritions. I tried mounting non-root partitions first ;) I mounted /home,
and it didn't protest, I mounted /var/cache/apt (using the "manual"
choice), which gave me an awful error, but mounted the partition.
* While trying to install sid :
- The installation failed while "configuring base packages", or something
like that. I rebooted installation and tried using debootstrap directly
(instead of running the base system installation step). Debootstrap tried
to run something like :
chroot /target dpkg -i .../libc6_2.2... .../libc6_2.3...
of course, while configuring libc6 2.2, which had just been installed,
bash didn't find GLIBC_2.3 ;)
I think this was because I copied my whole (old) apt cache into
/target/var/cache/apt/archives before running, to save download time (and
that worked...) I hadn't had this problem with sarge, but this time i
chose to download all the packages...
* Having finally got a sarge installed, rebooting...
(btw, i needed to umount -a; reboot by hand since choice 11 did't want to do
that until i installed a bootloader, which i didn't want.)
- I tried to boot the kernel just installed with grub. It panic'd, could
not mount the root (correctly specified on command line). It seems it had
no ide driver...
- I booted the new system with an old custom kernel. It was devfs, no luck.
I couldn't get a getty. Needed to reboot single single user, changs
fstab and inittab.
- The generated /etc/network/interfaces was wrong, using dhcp method instead
- I'm going to sleep (4:30 am). I didn't configure my system yet, and
probably won't before a few days. I have a home server/nat which i can use
until then (i use it to write this mail). If some of you want me to give
you clearer results or do some further tests, i can. I have just
subscribed to this list (i'd like to help). Don't hesitate asking me more
things if you need.
Hope it wasn't too long and boring you with false problems that were my
fault. Sorry for my poor english, too.
Jeremie Koenig <firstname.lastname@example.org>