Re: debian-installer and libraries

* Bruce Sass

| On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > Most of those are built from -pic libraries, which are reduced
| > versions of the normal libraries.  It is impossible to know which
| > functions are needed before the actual build of the boot media.
| >
| > So, yes, it is a bit inconsistent, but it's the only way.  (AFAIK, at
| > least)
|
| Would it be possible to reduce the libs at release build time?

: tfheen@yiwaz ~ > ls -l /lib/libc-2.3.1.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1109068 2002-11-19 19:13 /lib/libc-2.3.1.so*

You'll have a problem sticking that and a kernel and any other tools
onto a 1.44 MB floppy.

And I don't see what you think it buys you; could you perhaps explain
what you meant, or rather why you think it's a win to use non-reduced libs?

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-