Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-08-26

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 06:28:12PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:36:33 +1000
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > What's going to go on the rootfs? Presumably something like:
> > 	libc6, busybox-udeb, ash-udeb
> > 	udpkg, cdebconf, anna
> > 	*-retriever and any dependencies they have
> > 	/lib/modules/<kernel>/**
> The floppy is too small a place for putting in i18n locale info, and
> debian-installer, and I think this was the initial intention of
> d-i being modular.

Do we need the i18n locale info in the rootfs though? All you need
is enough i18n so you can prompt for which retriever to use, and to
configure it, no?

In the normal case, you're installing from a CD, so we can figure out
some way of automating that entirely -- "did we boot from a cd? yes? then
use cdrom-retriever, install libc6 etc, then start prompting for real"
-- in which case we don't have to worry about floppy sizes. And in the
next most common case, you just need to be able to enter a URL in your
preferred language, which is pretty straightforward.

In any event, there's no better way to do this -- you need some way of
prompting the user to "insert the next disk" in their local language,
and if you can't manage that for a 3k -retriever, you're not going to
be able to manage it at all, afaict.

Cheers,
aj