Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-08-26

On 26 Aug 2002 00:39:06 +0200
Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

>   It is difficult to reduce a library if you don't know what functions
>   in it will be used.  Since additional modules could be dropped onto
>   install media at any time, it is very difficult to guarantee that a
>   reduced libc will have all the symbols they need.
>
>   The least insane way of handling this is probably to have a libc6
>   package and other "full" packages with the libraries we need; this
>   will waste some space, but is probably the only way to go for now.
>
> Unless somebody comes up with a better way, that is the way we will
> go.

I was hoping that this problem won't come up, but it seems like
it has...

I like the way of having a full-libc6 udeb, for additional modules.
Logic being that if one can install additional udebs,
they should probably be able to install libc6.udeb.

I was kind of thinking of "udebootstrap", but that might be a bit more
tricky.

regards,
	junichi

--