Re: Root floppy question

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 06:49:15PM +0200, osk@osk.ch wrote:

> Hi Enrique,
>
> I'm really sorry to bother you but I'm really desperated and
> hoping you would help me.
>
> I'm trying to make a one-floppy-firewall.
> It boots, kernel finds my root image on the floppy, loads it
> and says:
>
> VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
>
> that's all.
>
> It does echo what I type, it reboots if I type Ctrl-Alt-Del
> so the system is not dead but I don't get anything I expect.
>
> But, big BUT if I put in my root filesystem in /lib
> the libc.so.6 from woodie's root floppy (673036 bytes)
> everything works as expected. But I need the "whole" libc,
> your version doesn't have some functions.

The installer uses mklibs.py for library reduction. It sounds
like you want a version without reduced libraries, although that
might not fit on a floppy anymore. But to get it, I would say you
would need to get the source for boot-floppies

apt-get source boot-floppies

and then build it after figuring out how to switch off the reduction.

Just my .02

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |