Re: "for installation instructions see www.debian.org"

On Jun 02, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Oh and by the way, when we go to www.debian.org for installation
> instructions, we might be getting information that is not appropriate
> for the CD's at hand.  E.g. at www.debian.org I see instructions for
> 2.2 installation, but I have 3.0 CD's.  Therefore saying where to look
> on the CD's themselves for installation instructions is important.

This will be updated when 3.0 is actually released.  Since 3.0 isn't
released yet, the instructions aren't in the obvious place for a
stable release.

> Dan> During woody installation I remember it says "for installation
> Dan> instructions see www.debian.org".
>
> Dan> You could also in addition say "or see /some/directory/html/ right on
> Dan> this installation CD!", as 1. we might not want to make a phone call
> Dan> to check instructions.  2. we might not even have a modem
>
> we might be in an isolated rural laboratory, thinking that we had all
> we needed with the 8 CD's before we arrived in camp.

The boot-floppies team doesn't know what the layout of the CD is going
to be when they are coding; hence, it's a chicken and egg problem.

Also, the install process is designed to work with many types of
media, including floppies and network installs.  They don't have a CD
to look at, so why confuse them by saying "look on the CD you don't have".

Having said that, the instructions are in the install directory on the
CD, which is where you'd have to look for the installer program
anyway.  And the README.txt in the root directory includes the
location of the instructions.  I guess you could blindly boot with the
CD in the drive without reading the instructions first on some
platforms, however.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/