creating root.bin was: help

Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:33:29AM -0500 wrote:
> When I turn the machine on the "Welcome to Debian" screen appears, and
> instructs me to press 'enter'.

> Uncompressing Linux......
> Then a bunch of information about the machine.
>
> Then "VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press
> ENTER"
>
> This is where I'm stuck.
> I have not been able to figure out how to make the root FD. And believe
> me I have spent many many many hours trying to figure it out on the
> Debian main page. This is my last hope before giving up, and using RH.
>
> Can you tell me how to make a root FD, that is appropriate for this
> machine and kernel- image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1?

You should make the root floppy just like you made the rescue floppy
(the rescue floppy is the on that gave you the 'Welcome to Debian'
screen).  Can I assume that you created the rescue floppy by taking an
image with a name like resc1440.bin, a tool like rawrite or dd?  You
will also find root1440.bin in the same place that you found
resc1440.bin (most likely on your Debian CD under the disks-i386
directory.)

> And if I need another
> floppy after the root... please tell me how to make that also.
After the root floppy you should be able to use your Debian CD for the
rest of the install.

> Or how to force the machine to boot from CD,
that may or may not be possible.  Check in the BIOS to see if you need
to change the boot order and/or enable boot from CD.

-David