Re: Why is there a prompt for a root shell when the default linux kernel boots?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:23:06PM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> It is there as part of the installer to make like easier
> for those wishing to do things that the installer does not
> support by default.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with
> cramfs or the kernel.

This is what I was thinking at first, but it sounds from further
discussion like this shell is still there after installation has
completed and the machine has been rebooted.  Like whatever it is that
spawns that shell is still present in the initrd that is installed with
the kernel.  And this is the case only if using the kernel 2.4 boot
floppies.

Is this all accurate?

noah