Re: bootfloppies on powerpc prep

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:57:56AM +0200, Rubin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> has anybody succesfully tested a boot of debian woody through
> bootfloppies on powerpc prep?
>
> I've succesfully booted the last diskset from testing on a Bull Estrella
> Series 300 (motorola powerstack 4000 II) but it hangs on initialization
> of the Symbios Logic 53C825A which at init, keeps resetting itself into
> oblivion.
>
> I'm also suspecting I might need a bootloader instead of just the
> openfirmware (which is a FirmWorks OpenFirmware 1.2 RH11 - got it from
> Bull); any ideas about that? yaboot seems to load but doesn't do
> anything afterwards (kernels won't boot) and I have not been able to
> find a binary version of quik which might do the trick.

Normally I'd say go to packages.debian.org/quik -- but I know it
doesn't show up because the package archives are i386-centric. If
you'd like, I could email you one. It's much more finicky that yaboot,
though, and normally needs to install a boot block from inside linux.

> As a side note it looks like the kernel does not pick up any boot
> parameters given at the openfrmware command-prompt.
>
> Also note that the install.txt on the ftp.debian.org is very out of date
> (1999, scarce details about bootfloppy based install). If I get
> succesful with this (as in: actually get debian powerpc to run on it) I
> would like to rewrite this document.

Excellent! We haven't had any prep users volunteer to update it.