Re: Bochs can be helpful for bootdisk testing

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:27:46PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Bochs (the x86 emulator) can be quite helpful for bootdisk testing, saving
> from lots of reboots. It's relatively fast and supports "el Torito" for
> booting from CD (or ISO image, no need to burn)
>
> Also there have been some major reworks to make configuration easier, so
> while you are at testing bootdisks you can test bochs and ensure that
> it'll be working well for Woody. :)

It also doesn't test booting on real hardware, which is the most important
test for this particular change I think.  For boot-floppies, I should think
that user-mode-linux would be as useful as bochs, and much, much faster.  I
talked a bit about testing boot-floppies with UML here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/debian-boot-200112/msg00583.html

And I know that others have had success with it as well.  As far as testing
bochs, that's beneficial as well.  I've only managed to get it to boot
MS-DOS on my PowerPC machine, but that is an accomplishment in itself.

--
 - mdz