Re: Please test this woody cd image

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 09:48:36AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:38:00AM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> > It failed to boot an IBM Aptiva 2161-C8E desktop with a 1/19/1997
> > BIOS. This 166Mhz Pentium box has been my trusty machine for 5 years,
> > and boots the potato r3 CD and also another woody netinst ISO (the one
>
> Well, I guess the question is do we want to support new machines or old
> machines; it doesn't seem that we can do both. (I'd vote for the former
> because we need to move forward, and it's not like we're removing the
> floppy boot option.)

Also, PGI currently uses syslinux and will continue to do past its 1.0
release.  PGI works on i386, of course, and may be a good candidate for
legacy hardware support when the official Debian installer can't bend
over backwards that far anymore.  (PGI does not, however, support
floppy-disk-based installs.)

There's more information about PGI at <http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/>.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     engineering.  "Supernatural" is a