Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Apr 06, Philip Hands wrote:
> The closest I'd be willing to go towards making a change, would be some
> form of kernel selection menu on the first CD, still with the vanilla
> 2.2 kernel as the default, but giving people the choice even if they
> only get CD#1.
>
> That would be conditional on some evidence being forthcomming that the
> resulting CD would be bootable on at least as many machines as is
> currently the case.  Can anyone provide that?
>
> The ISOLINUX/MEMDISK thing mentioned earlier looks interesting.  Has
> anyone played with this?  Presumably we could use MEMDISK to select
> between boot floppies, with no changes required to the boot floppy
> images, so would only change things by bumping a few packages off the
> end of CD#1.

I'll try an experiment this weekend.  My gut feeling is that you can
probably do it without bumping anything off the ISO, as the other
flavors are already on disc 1 anyway (just not in the boot sector).

Now, whether or not this is going to be acceptable to aj on the
official CDs is another question.  But it's an option that most
vendors will probably jump at.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/