Re: 3.0.21 bf2.4 report

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 22:38, Andreas Wüst wrote:
> > From a design perspective, the main effect of the region chooser is to
> > provide a complete locale string, eg "de_AT" rather than just "de".
> > However, this doesn't make any difference during the first stage install
> > because the message catalogs are the same for all territories.
>
> But in the second stage?

The second stage isn't localised at this time.  (In boot-floppies speak,
the "second stage" installer is the stuff that happens after reboot, ie
base-config and all that.)

Even if it were localised, the majority of programs would probably still
not bother to carry different catalogs for specific regions.

> > The only
> > instance where this would be false is Taiwan and PRC, which do have
> > distinct zh_TW/zh_CN catalogs, but at present this is handled by just
> > listing traditional and simplified Chinese separately in the top level
> > LC.  (I have no idea whether it would be considered desirable, or indeed
> > feasible, to put them both under a common "Chinese" heading.)
>
> What is this language string exactly for? Sorry, I am not that experienced
> with the boot-floppies.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  Which language string are you
referring to?

> Maybe something like this. Altough I still can't imagine how it should
> influence the keymap, as the keymap gets chosen before the language requester
> pops up IIRC (or am I wrong with this?).

You're wrong.  The language chooser is the very first screen that
dbootstrap displays, followed by the release notes.

> Well, what do you want now, do you want me to do a short wording for the
> requester, for the manual, or both, or neither of them?

Just for the manual, I think.

p.