Re: 3.0.21 bf2.4 report

Hi Philip

Tahnk you very much for your enlightening information!!

> On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 22:18, Andreas Wüst wrote:
>> Well, but that's exactly the problem: I DON'T know what the effects are,
>> and therefore I just can't estimate which language/region option would be
>> best for me!!
>
> From a design perspective, the main effect of the region chooser is to
> provide a complete locale string, eg "de_AT" rather than just "de".
> However, this doesn't make any difference during the first stage install
> because the message catalogs are the same for all territories.

But in the second stage?

> The only
> instance where this would be false is Taiwan and PRC, which do have
> distinct zh_TW/zh_CN catalogs, but at present this is handled by just
> listing traditional and simplified Chinese separately in the top level
> LC.  (I have no idea whether it would be considered desirable, or indeed
> feasible, to put them both under a common "Chinese" heading.)

What is this language string exactly for? Sorry, I am not that experienced
with the boot-floppies.

Well, I am now writing from the view of a user, who doesn't
know what his choices will have an influence in.

> The secondary effects are to provide default values for the keymap and
> ftp mirror.  For example, if you choose "English (United Kingdom)", upon
> entry to the keymap selector the highlight will already be positioned
> over the UK keymap; similarly, at the download screen, the server field
> will have been filled in with "ftp.uk.debian.org".  You are perfectly at
> liberty to choose a different keymap or server if you know better than
> dbootstrap what you want.  Older versions of the boot-floppies used US
> defaults all the time.

Ok, so to make it short: it only affects the keymap and the ftp server
default values. It doesn't have any influence on further installation, nor on
later on apt'ed packages, configurations, and so forth!!

> So, from the user's perspective, the answer is that it doesn't matter
> very much.  You should choose the language that you are most comfortable
> with, and then the region that seems like the closest match to your
> locality.

Hmm, I see! So a short information text could either be appended to the region
selection requester, or one could write a little summary of the above posted
information (mainly the second paragraph) and put it into the installation
manual.

The requester text could maybe go like this: "Please choose the region nearest
to your current location, as it will default you to your closest debian
mirror, and it will default you to a locale keymap. Those values can of course
be changed during the installation by yourself."

Maybe something like this. Altough I still can't imagine how it should
influence the keymap, as the keymap gets chosen before the language requester
pops up IIRC (or am I wrong with this?).

Well, what do you want now, do you want me to do a short wording for the
requester, for the manual, or both, or neither of them?

--
Bye, and thanks again for your informative mail,
Andi