Re: Regarding traditional Chinese translation of dbootstrap

Jacobo Tarrio <jtarrio@trasno.net> wrote:
> It was removed on Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:44:18 -0700, because it was corrupted
> (invalid multibyte sequences).

Okay, I screwed that one up.  The story goes as follows: back in January
2001, the msgmerge I had (which came with potato, I believe) did not
understand big5 encoding.  As some lad was careful enough to include '\\'
into big5 when he designed it, msgmerge bombs out lots of error messages.
In order to work around the problem, I tweaked the Makefile so that
update-zh_TW first iconv the file into UTF-8, invoke msgmerge, and then
iconv the UTF-8 version back to big5.  It was a sound solution then.

However, then somebody implemented the proper encoding support into
msgmerge.  Since I had not bothered changing the encoding field of the
.po file from big5 to UTF-8, msgmerge complained loud and clear.

So in order to work around a bug, I carelessly introduced another
through a hack.  But I guess it is not the first time it happened.

The good news is, I have managed to complete traditional Chinese
translation during the week, and I will commit the changes into the
CVS this weekend, after some more tests to make sure that everything
goes the way it is supposed to be.

Regards,

--
Chuan-kai Lin