Re: Unidentified subject!

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:48:18PM +0000, Edwin Kilday wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Debian on a pc for the first time (vanilla
> flavour).  I downloaded the latest version from your site.

You mean the Woody boot-floppies, version 3.0.20?

> I'm having trouble with the creation of a boot floppy after going through
> the rest of the installation with no problems.  The installation program
> goes through each cylinder and head of the disk formatting and then
> verifying until it gets to cylinder 79 or 80 and then jumps to a dialog
> entitled 'Problem'...
>
> "Creation of the boot floppy failed.  Please make sure that the foppy was
> not write-protected,..." - it isn't
>
> "...and that you put in the first drive..." - I did
>
> "...Try another floppy if the problem persists." - tried several.
>
> Is this a standard problem?

No.

> Am I being daft?

No.

> Do you need more info in order to help?

Yes.  Could you switch to virtual console 3 after this occurs
and send us the last few lines of the log?

In the meantime, you don't really need to make a boot floppy.
You can install a boot loader on your hard drive, or just boot
from the rescue disk.

Matt