Re: Missing filesystems for 2.4 kernel on testing cds

Package: kernel-image-2.4.16-newpmac
Severity: serious

[ Dan: basically the gist of this is that the newpmac kernel needs to
have NFS and iso9660 built in. Also, (on an unrelated note), we need
MESH scsi built in. ]

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 13:30, Bradford Powell wrote:

> I've downloaded and tried the unofficial woody cd (just disc 1) from
> powerpc.trasno.net (downloaded on March 1).

Well, you are the first person I've heard from who has actually tested
installing woody on a PowerPC machine from CD.

> So, I boot from the cd, choose 'linux24' from yaboot, and start
> installation.

It's good to know this part works.

> When it gets to the point of mounting root over nfs, (after
> network was properly setup by dhcp: I tested this by pinging the nfs
> server), the install script was unable to do so. Dropping to the shell in
> the other console, catting /proc/filesystems does not list nfs.

NFS is compiled as a module; I guess my thought was that most people
will be either doing a full network install (in which case they'll
download the drivers.tgz along with the kernel), or they'll be doing a
full CD install (and drivers.tgz comes on the CD).  However, since the
new-powermac kernel is already too big to fit on a 1.44 floppy, I don't
think we'll lose anything by compiling NFS (+NFS root) in.

> Then I decided to try nfs root install under the old kernel. This time the
> root fs was mounted, base system was installed (I think), but before base
> system install was complete, debootstrap reported "unable to run chroot
> /target dpkg".

Strange; I remember hearing about this problem before, but I don't
remember what the cause was.  I think it's been fixed.

> Repartitioning went as planned. Again, I chose linux24 from the
> yaboot selector. Now after formatting the root partition and mounting it,
> the time came to install the base system. So I selected install from
> CD. Unable to mount cd... I checked /proc/filesystems: no iso9660.

Oops! We will fix this right away.

> I then proceeded to install to the hard disk using the 2.2 kernel and
> updated to 2.4 with my first deselect.

> the linux24 kernel on the install cd should probably have the
>   filesystems iso9660 and nfs compiled in.
> I'm not sure what went wrong with the install to an nfs root using the
>   2.2 kernel (unable to run chroot /target dpkg)
> But, I did get it installed (but haven't done much with it yet).

That's good to hear!  Thank you very much for testing and sending this
report.