[ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de: bf 3.0.19-idepci: modconf and language]

This is probably more appropriate for -boot since it mostly shows
problems in boot-floppies.

----- Forwarded message from Frank Fürst <ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de> -----

From: ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de (Frank Fürst)
Subject: bf 3.0.19-idepci: modconf and language
Date: 02 Mar 2002 21:25:33 +0100
To: debian-testing@lists.debian.org

I did some installation tests with the current idepci boot-floppies on a
Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop, and in general it's fine. There are some
minor issues regarding the translation into german (see below) and
only one thing thats a little more severe. This occurs in the modconf
process, but it seems to me that it's nevertheless a boot-floppy problem:

When I install a module (e.g. nls_iso8859-1 which should always succeed,
shouldn't it?) then, under the window that just asked me for module
parameters, the line

/target/usr/sbin/modconf: cannot create: directory nonexistent

is displayed 4 times, scrolling up (and leaving the old dialog window at
its place). After that, a Success message appears at the top of the
screen.

I don't know wether these lines really report a problem or merely
something that's "different" in the install process than in a standard
modconf run. But anyway, it makes one insecure about what's going on.

And when I use modconf (0.2.39) on my working woody machine, these lines
do not appear - this is why I suspect that it might have something to do
with boot-floppies. However, the appearance is a little different
anyway, perhaps it's different versions?

The other things are mainly wishlist things, and most of them refer to
the translation to german. Should I file bugs for this, or rather only
contact someone responsible for the translation? Just for the record,
I'll list that here:

- the boot messages of the idepci kernel contain a lot of lines about
  some eepro things (eepro100), however in the modconf dialog, there are
  also eepro modules - is this correct?

- modconf is the only thing that's in english even if one chose german
  installation. If somebody sends me a text file, I'll translate
  that. Furthermore, the explanation text says "You can read a
  page about the purpose of any module and then you can enable or
  disable it", but I didn't find out how tho get this help
  text.

- When chosing a hard disk to partition, the window title is
  "Diskettenaufwerk auswählen". Besides the typo (Disketten_l_aufwerk),
  this means "choose floppy disk", not hard disk. The correct german
  text would be "Festplatte auswählen". This is the only
  language-related issue that is important, because it might confuse
  people quite a bit about

Other things, in order of apperance:

- In the big welcome screen after chosing the language (that with the
  "Software in the Public Interest" thing) the word "Programmieren"
  should be "Programmiere_r_n".

- When selecting a keyboard layout, shouldn't the names of the countries
  be in their own language? Of course most germans will know the word
  Germany...

- When "Next" is "Initialize a Linux Partition" and "Alternate : Mount a
  Previously-Initialized Partition", the explanation text explains 'use
  "Alternate" to mount them without initialization". At this point, the
  german translation has "Weiter" (Next) where it should be
  "Alternative" (Alternate).

- At the point where the kernel is to be copied from the rescue disk,
  the dialog box says "Bitte legen Sie die Rettungsdiskette in das
  Diskettenlaufwerk ersten ein" (Please put the rescue disk into the
  first floppy drive). This has to be "... in das erste
  Diskettenlaufwerk ein" (with changed word order and without the 'n').

Bye, Frank

P.S. debian-testing *is* the right list for mails like this, isn't it?
--
Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49-331-977-5062		Fax: +49-331-977-5062