Re: non-i18n'd arches

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:48:00PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> I see that sparc, mips, hppa and m68k have not yet enabled the
> LANGUAGE_CHOOSER.  Is there any particular reason for that?  It would be
> good to have i18n on as many architectures as possible by the time we
> release.

I just turned it on in ia64, and it is basically working.  Relative to
my previous non-i18n build, I see these problems:

1. Ugly borders to dialog boxes, using +-| rather than graphics chars.
(this on vga, not on serial).  This is a real shame, the installer was
looking pretty smart in my non-i18n build.  I'm assuming other i18n
enabled archs have this same problem...

2. Doesn't always redraw the screen. e.g. mke2fs output overwrites the
the display without clearing first, and previous dialog box is sometimes
visible round the endges of the current one. (this with French, not with
English).

3. The french message "Installer le systeme de base - alt-F4 pour
deboguer, alt-F1 p" is too long to fit the top of the dialog box.

I did vga installs in French, English, and Janpanese, and a serial
install in English.  The serial install worked just like the non-i18n
install, didn't offer language choice, used nice graphics chars for
borders.  No idea what the Janpanese one was saying to me, but the
screen layout, line lengths, etc looked like it might be working ok.

I used the i386 language set, although I guess I could use more on ia64
as there is no real space constraint.

Richard