Re: non-i18n'd arches

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 22:58, Richard Hirst wrote:
> 1. Ugly borders to dialog boxes, using +-| rather than graphics chars.
> (this on vga, not on serial).  This is a real shame, the installer was
> looking pretty smart in my non-i18n build.  I'm assuming other i18n
> enabled archs have this same problem...

Yup.  This is caused by legacy newt/slang/termcap problems.  From what I
remember there is an assumption somewhere that the line drawing
characters are only a single byte, whereas a two-byte sequence is needed
for UTF8.  Unfortunately I think we just have to live with it for the
time being.

> 2. Doesn't always redraw the screen. e.g. mke2fs output overwrites the
> the display without clearing first, and previous dialog box is sometimes
> visible round the endges of the current one. (this with French, not with
> English).

There's an important bug open for this already.  I don't know the number
off the top of my head, but the title is something obvious like
"dbootstrap: screen not cleared".

> I used the i386 language set, although I guess I could use more on ia64
> as there is no real space constraint.

Yup.  ARM does the same.  You can set the language list to whatever you
want, though it would be a good idea to check the stats to make sure the
translations you're including aren't desperately stale.  Having an
install that is only half translated would make for a pretty miserable
user experience.

p.