Re: bootfloppies on DECstation 5000/125

On Wed, 2002-02-20 15:16:53 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20020220151653.G21530@lug-owl.de>:
> On Tue, 2002-02-19 19:58:56 +0100, Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
> wrote in message <[🔎] 20020219195856.C253@excalibur.cologne.de>:
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:21:59PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > > I've just tested the boot floppies. System is a DS 5000/125
> > > with serial keyboard LK401AA attached, 16MB RAM.
> > >
> > > 1. Booting via graphical console (PMAGB-B) results in an Oops
> > > in default_be_board_handler().
> > > 2. Booting via serial line, I get as far as formatting the
> > > freshly partitioned 3.1GB HDD:
> > [SNIP]
> > > Writing inode tables:  1/22
> > > Could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 33212: Attempt to
> > > write bloc k from filesystem resulted in short write
> > >
> > > The system freezes here, without an Oops:-(
> >
> > Looks like the kernel has a general problem on R3000-based machines.
> > Unfortunately I do not own a working and supported R3k box, so I can

Well, I've now compiled my own kernel (linux_2_4) with the toolchain I
found on oss.sgi.com. It's quite _a lot_ more stable now. Maybe the
boot-floppy guys would like to use a different kernel for boot-up?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   jbglaw@lug-owl.de   .   +49-172-7608481
	 -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --