Re: teamwork (was Re: #103302 ask permission blah blah)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:06:27 +1000
"Anthony Towns" <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 09:52:07PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > > To work efficiently as a team we have to be able to trust each
other to
> > > perform our own tasks.
> > How can we trust someone who isn't one of us?
>
> Or, to put it in a way that doesn't sound quite so xenophobic, why
> should we trust someone who refuses to go through our fairly trivial
> identification process (and thus avoids the accountability it attempts
> to establish), and who refuses to go through the tasks and philosophy
> checks to make sure he can actually function as a part of the project?

I dont think he would have much chance of getting through the NM process
with the enemies hes made, do you ?

Why does it matter where a bugfix comes from ?
Generally speaking, as long as it fixes a bug and doesnt introduce
others it should be accepted. (note i havent looked at this specific bug
or patche)

> Ethan's quite a fan of bug terrorism (continually upgrading or
reopening
> bugs the maintainer disagrees with) and, apparently, NMU terrorism
> (threatening to either NMU your package, or hacking into your package
> from another package). Especially the latter isn't something that
helps
> Debian development.

I dont agree with these actions, i think its his misguided attempts to
improve the packages, if he cannot work with the maintainer/developer
then i would encourage him to fork the package and distribute it by
alternative means.

> But hey, politically inspired apoplectic fits is the reason everyone
> joins Debian, isn't it?

I thought we all joined to get involved with endless flamewars (sarcasm)

There are lots of good people at debian, however sometimes i cant here
them for all the shouting.

Glenn