Re: #103302 ask permission before erasing /var/cache/apt/archives

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 12:12:37PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> First of all, Othmar's problem report is about an independant bug,
> though it is loosely related to Ethan's wishlist report.
>
> Secondly, I have been away on personal business and have not been able
> to fix all RC (ie, important or above) base-config bugs until this
> morning. This includes #117741, which is an independant report of the
> same issue Othmar reported.
>
> Ethan Benson wrote, on the 10th on November:
> > since the maintainer of base-config has demonstrated a complete
> > unwillingness to fix this bug I am prepared to commit a patch to
> > boot-floppies baseconfig.c to ask the user if they wish for .debs to
> > be removed or not, if they do not, the relevant code that silently
> > removes them will be deleted from the base-config install in /target/
> >
> > this is of course not the correct solution, the correct solution is
> > for the base-config maintainer to cooperate and fix this, but if he
> > refuses to be useful we shall have to fix it another way (unless
> > someone wishes to NMU and reNMU when new versions revert the fix.)
>
> Thirdly, this suggestion both ignores my history of debian package
> maintainance and participation in debian-boot (IMHO), and is technically
> disgusting, and I'm sure that the rest of the boot floppies team has
> better sense than Ethan is showing with these asurd threats.
>
> Fourthly, I don't killfile coworkers on projects, because I belive that
> that can lead to disastrous breakdowns in communications. I may,
> however, leave projects in disgust. My disgust level with Ethan is
> currently quite high. Threatening to abuse boot-floppies commit
> privlidges to put in a disgusting hack. Insinuating that I would
> silently ignore NMU's. These are not behaviors I expect to see from a
> member of this project.

As a junior participant, I may have little authority. But I'd like to
offer my perception of Ethan: He is hardworking, vitriolic,
knowledgeable, subject to wide mood swings, and completely committed
to the cause of free software.

Ethan? It seems like you've been attempting to calm down the rhetoric
lately?

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |