Re: debian-installer status

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:54:11 +0200
"KORN Andras" <korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 01:24:08AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
>
> > It turns out that even if you compile with devfs, there are places
where
> > the old style device names are still used (/proc/partitions i think
was
> > what anoyed me), for me this ruined devfs's elegence.
>
> Ummm...

> I couldn't find anything under /proc that referenced old device names.
This
> is a 2.4.10-ac7 kernel (but I don't think the stock kernel references
old
> names either).

I remember now its the file and directory names for ide devices.

bug1@scooby:/root$ ls -l /proc/ide
total 0
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 24 01:04 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 24 01:04 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 24 01:04 hdc -> ide1/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 24 01:04 hdd -> ide1/hdd
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Oct 24 01:04 ide0
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     root            0 Oct 24 01:04 ide1

Whats the point in refering to hda etc when device hda doesnt exist.

It mightnt be much but its enough to require mapping in userland between
the two drivername types if you want to analyse how linux detected
storage devices

Glenn