Re: MontaVista library optimizer

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 07:44:45PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > MontaVista have released their library reducing tool at
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libraryopt/.  Has anybody checked yet
> > whether this is suitable for us?  In the long time, it seems to be
> > more reasonable to use an external tool instead of hacking our own
> > scripts; and at first glance, it looks more advanced.
>
> Thanks for mentioning it :)  I've been meaning to package this and not
> had time (though you're certainly welcome to do so).
>
> The difficulty is that, IIRC, it wants objects rather than a PIC
> archive.  Fixing that shouldn't be terribly difficult, though.  It's
> also a little shy on documentation, but works very well.

Hrm, I've just tried it, but I can't get it to do anything. Could you
post a usage example? I'd be really interested in results for boot
floppies.

BTW, there seems to be a problem with ld-linux.so.2. When using the
version reduced with mklibs.py, busybox wget crashes (segfault), but
not with the unreduced version. I think I'll try mklibs.sh next...

        Falk