Re: Small [patch] (install_depends) and should I apply it?

Ian Lynagh <igloo@earth.li> writes:

> > Woah woah woah... do *not* start installing packages -- you have to
> > assume this is being run as a user, not root.
>
> Why? I thought the idea was that if they could build boot disks then
> they could get root via $(ROOTCMD)?

That doesn't mean 'install_depends' is a great idea.

> > Perhaps it would be good to emit the apt-get install cmdline they need
> > to run.  But do *not* just run it...
>
> I think if someone types "make install_depends" then they should expect
> things to be installed?

Hardly a good argument.

> With the virtual packages problem I suggest we ask Jason about an option
> to force apt to pick something to provide a package (based on priority
> and then just pick a random one if that doesn't work) (I'm not missing
> an option that does that already am I?),

He won't agree to that, because it's kinda a bad way to formulate it.

The idea is that if there is only *one* package that satisfies a
virtual dependancy, I think it might be reasonable to install that w/o
asking.

> and if he says that isn't
> possible then just print it out in check_depends instead?

Just print it out anyway.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>