Re: d-i ramblings

Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:34:54AM -0800 wrote:
> David Whedon wrote:
> > 1. I'm thinking that it would be nice to have an 'Execute a shell' main-menu
> > entry.  I haven't actually tried to make it, but it seems to me that the current
> > main-menu structure won't allow that.
>
> You can actually escape outside debconf by redirecting stdin and stdout
> to /dev/tty. It's a hack, but it works.

Clever.  I have some preliminary work on allowing us to get out of debconf.  I'm
basically adding a bit to the control file:

Package: di-shell
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
XBC-installer-menu-item: 2, no-debconf
 Use this module to execute an interactive shell within debian-installer.

When main-menu sees that it does the right thing.  With the /dev/tty trick I
think I'll be able to break out of the debconf box.

> > 2. I'd like the ability to have online help.   Maybe debconf can provide that
> > through a bunch of 'notes', but that feels cludgy.  It might be cool to use lynx
> > or something and html.  Though we run into the same problem (I think) of debconf
> > getting in the way.
>
> Not sure how this would work but it would be nice. It would be pretty
> damned nice if a copy of the installation manual (updated for d-i of
> course) was available right during the install, especially if you could
> jump to the part describing the stage you were at in the install.

Maybe each module has its own help (I'm afraid things wouldn't be terribly
coherent, and we risk both duplication and omission).  Though if we are careful
this could work nicely.  All the help would get integrated into one document
(html, for example) at build time and then when the user choses the 'help'
module, main-menu figures out where in the manual to start the user out by way
of the menutests?

David