Re: problems making own boot-floppies for MegaRAID

Thanks for the very useful email, Stephen. Life seems fun again!

On 30/12/01, Stephen R Marenka (stephen@marenka.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:09:34AM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> > 1)  My kernel is 1.5M, larger than a floppy! Won't this be a problem?
>
> When you created the kernel did you make zImage, make bzImage

bzImage

> If your compressed kernel is bigger than 1.5M, you need to remove some
> drivers and try again. You probably would want to start with the
> .config from the compact flavor of boot-floppies.

Thanks for the great idea and url!

> > 2)  Can I somehow mount the boot disk image without putting it on a
> > 	floppy and mounting that, to do the kernel image swap? (I'm trying
> > 	to do as much of this as possible away from the office, sshing in!).
>
> Are you already running linux on this box? There are some notes on
> bootstrapping Debian from other distros in the archives
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/>.

This is a completely new, naked server! I'm hoping to get the necessary
floppy disk images all prepped on another server so that I can fly into
the office and do the basic install on the new server before work begins
in the office in the new year - without spending too much day time away
from my family.

> > 3)  Although I've installed the boot-floppies package (and deps) on my
> >     potato server, I can't find the promised docs.
>
> Don't bother with boot-floppies directly. Just add your custom kernel to
> a rescue floppy, some rough directions are at
> <http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/doc/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>.

I'll do it this way. Thanks for the pointers.
--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory@campbell-lange.net>