problems making own boot-floppies for MegaRAID

I need to make my own boot-floppies to install Debian on a new Dell
Poweredge server. I need MegaRAID support (dropped in the latest
'compact' images) and appletalk networking.

I read the boot-floppies documentation linked through the install
manual. It suggests replacing the 'linux' file on the boot floppy with
the newly compiled one and running a script included on the floppy.

Problems:
1)  My kernel is 1.5M, larger than a floppy! Won't this be a problem?
2)  Can I somehow mount the boot disk image without putting it on a
	floppy and mounting that, to do the kernel image swap? (I'm trying
	to do as much of this as possible away from the office, sshing in!).
3)  Although I've installed the boot-floppies package (and deps) on my
    potato server, I can't find the promised docs.

Thanks for any help.
Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange