Re: problems making own boot-floppies for MegaRAID

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:09:34AM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> Problems:
> 1)  My kernel is 1.5M, larger than a floppy! Won't this be a problem?

When you created the kernel did you make zImage, make bzImage, or what?
I believe bzImage makes the smallest image. If your compressed kernel is
bigger than 1.5M, you need to remove some drivers and try again. You
probably would want to start with the .config from the compact flavor of
boot-floppies.

The stripped form is at
<http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/kernel-config>.

Add megaraid support to that. Then follow the instructions for adding a
kernel to the rescue disk in the woody docs.

> 2)  Can I somehow mount the boot disk image without putting it on a
> 	floppy and mounting that, to do the kernel image swap? (I'm trying
> 	to do as much of this as possible away from the office, sshing in!).

Are you already running linux on this box? There are some notes on
bootstrapping Debian from other distros in the archives
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/>.

I don't think you can do a Debian install remotely unless you have some
sort of remote access to the console. The bulk of this doesn't take long
to do though. The longest bit is downloading stuff if you're doing a
network install.

> 3)  Although I've installed the boot-floppies package (and deps) on my
>     potato server, I can't find the promised docs.

Don't bother with boot-floppies directly. Just add your custom kernel to
a rescue floppy, some rough directions are at
<http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/doc/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>.

HTH,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>