Re: problems making own boot-floppies for MegaRAID

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:09:34AM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> Problems:
> 1)  My kernel is 1.5M, larger than a floppy! Won't this be a problem?
of you try to put in on a floppy, yes.

> 2)  Can I somehow mount the boot disk image without putting it on a
> 	floppy and mounting that, to do the kernel image swap? (I'm trying
> 	to do as much of this as possible away from the office, sshing in!).

YES! you can do it. i can only speak for the GRUB bootloader, not LILO.
if you use LILO, translate to suite your purpose.

in your menu.lst, add something like the following:

title Debian Bootfloppy test /boot/debian/linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/debian/linux vga=normal load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=16384 disksize=1.44
initrd /boot/debian/root.bin

/boot/debian/linux is your 1.5M kernel, and /boot/debian/root.bin is the
root.bin image of the flavour you want to use. some flavours have more
capabilities, like ext3 or reiserfs. make sure if you do that, you
append a ``flavour=<flavour>'' to the kernel line.

boot, and enjoy!

> 3)  Although I've installed the boot-floppies package (and deps) on my
>     potato server, I can't find the promised docs.

look in the ``documentation'' directory. plety to go around.

-john