Re: installation problem: network not working

Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:

> The machine I want to install on, is behind a Linux router doing
> packet filtering and NAT.  This is configured correctly and works.
>
> Then I tried to install the base system via network.  I chose to install
> woody and then chose the default server http://http.us.debian.org to
> install from.  No proxy.
>
> The network connection is made but then the installation process
> hangs.  The new machine I want to install on, doesn't send TCP ACK's
> for the TCP segments it receives.
[...]
> Is this a known problem

No, I don't think so.

> and is there a work-around?

Install from CD ?

> OTOH, I installed debian woody successfully on my notebook using the
> same floppy disk.  That, however, was at my job without NAT.  But
> the tcpdump output does not look like a NAT problem.

No it doesn't.  I think you'd just have to track it down a bit more;
compare TCP dump output on another machine.  You'll need to determine
if the blame lies with busybox (which provides wget, which is what we
use to download) or the kernel.  I doubt it's a kernel problem because
a *lot* of people would be hitting it.  So it's all rather mysterious
to me.